Life is a series of defining moments. And some of the most defining moments in my life, have come from being a mom. In honor of Mother's Day, which I believe should be celebrated far more often, here are the twenty most defining moments in my time as a mom so far.
1. Finding out I was pregnant....while on birth control. And not only was I pregnant, but I was several months pregnant. What the doctors had thought might be a brain tumor was actually a beautiful baby named Libby.
2. Holding Libby for the first time after fourteen hours of labor, a very high fever, and a scary c-section, looking into her face, and knowing she was mine.
3. My first day at home alone with Libby- no Lee, no mom, no friends, just me and her for fourteen hours. I was terrified to say the least.
4. The Easter Sunday when Libby busted her head on the fireplace; we went to the children's hospital, and she came home with three stitches. I remember thinking that the first stitches experience I knew we'd inevitably have one day really wasn't that bad at all.
5. The day I realized that a good night's sleep was a thing of the past. Moms don't sleep, at least not well.
6. The day we moved Libby into her big girl bed. I cried, and she jumped for joy...literally.
7. The day Libby told me she wants to be an optical illusionist when she grows up, and I realized her future is open to all kinds of unknowns.
8. Walking Libby into school her first day of kindergarten and bracing myself for time to start flying.
9. Deciding that we didn't want to have any more children.....and then finding out that we were pregnant with Hollyn.
10. The day we told Libby she was going to have a baby sister.
11. The last night spent with Libby as an only child.
12. Holding Hollyn for the first time and watching Libby hold her for the first time.
13. When Hollyn was less than a week old and Libby told me that I loved Hollyn more than I loved her and realizing this whole transition from one child to two children was not for the faint of heart.
14. The first time I heard Libby read.... I didn't even know she knew how.
15. When Libby scored her first soccer goal.
16. Sitting on the floor crying one day about how hard it is to be a mom sometimes and Hollyn coming up, giving me a huge hug and a kiss, and telling me she loves me.
17. The first time Libby and I really disagreed about something and I got my first glimpse of her teenage years.
18. Hearing Hollyn say, "I wubs you, Bibby", and knowing I'd done at least one thing right.
19. Taking Hollyn to the emergency room and then spending four days hunkered down in the hospital with her, covered in motherhood from head to toe.
20. Libby's dreaded allergy testing that left us both in tears.
I wish I could take credit for this idea, but that would be a lie. If you still haven't checked out Kelly's blog, you should. Her story is inspiring. And should you decide to share your moments, please leave a comment and let me know; I need an excuse to shed some sweet tears.