Thursday, August 5, 2010

And it begins

Today was huge....monumental, even.
 Today my baby made a major milestone, a milestone that will set the stage for the next twelve years of her little life and start what I pray will be a lifetime of learning.

Today my baby set out on her kindergarten adventure.

As adventures go, I'd say she is off to a pretty good start.
She had a morning filled with blueberry waffles, hugs from her Mimi who spent the night for the very special occasion, and the family was up and at 'em bright and early just for her big day.


I'd planned and prepared for tears, but there were none.
 Instead, there was a lot of pride,
a lot of joy,
and a whole heaping truckload of excitement.

She's ready. Scratch that. She's more than ready.
She's been ready for two years, but thanks to her six-days-too-late birthday,
 kindergarten is just now ready for HER.


It was big for her in so many ways, which was to be expected.
What I did NOT expect was how big it would be for me, the lowly mom in this house.
 It's like her taking these big steps boosted me to a whole new level of mommy-hood, one filled with carpools, PTA meetings, and packed lunches. I seriously feel like I'm in a whole new league.


I think I'm gonna like this league...in time. It's just that I'm the first of my close friends to get to this point...I'm paving the way, so to speak. And while that's great and all, it sure would be nice to have someone to hold my hand through this transition.
I mean, seriously--- how did she grow up so FAST???
I can't BELIEVE she's in kindergarten,
and don't even get me started on the fact that she'll be six next month.
But I know one thing-- she sure is one cute kindergartner.



My Libby- your adventure has begun.
 So while I sit back and try to find my place in your ever-changing world, you show kindergarten what you're made of, laugh your little heart out, and enjoy every stinkin' minute.
You won't be little much longer, so let's please make the most of it and enjoy what we've got left.


And in case you're wondering, she had the best first day. She loved every single thing about kindergarten: her teacher, her music class, her new friends, her nap mat, and lunch in the cafeteria, just to name a few.
And when she told me that she made a new friend and he called her his princess, I giggled and knew that all was well and right with our world.

One day down, one hundred and seventy-nine more to go.

5 comments:

  1. Our oldest will start second grade, and our youngest will also start Kindergarten with a half day on the 16th and then full days starting the 17th. It is a different world. Don't volunteer for everything at once; ease your way in to this world of "We need you to...." You have seven more years (or more when number 2 gets going) to give to this school, so I think pacing is important. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your post. You're such a great mommy. I can't imagine how I will feel when Caroline starts Kindergarten...
    Hope all is well for you and your family!
    Love ya,
    Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh! Your post brought tears to my eyes! I have a little 8mo. old girl, Sophia. Everyday I'm amazed at how fast she is growing! Right now her milestones are getting teeth and learning to crawl...And then I think of my youngest sister, who is engaged and getting married in February--she's the baby of the family, my mom's last one. And I think of my Mom...and this final milestone:-) Ahhhh. Life:-) Can be so good right?
    Thanks for sharing such a special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby- We are so excited about your first week of kindergarten! It is my favorite grade. You are going to have so much fun this year. You looked so cute in that outfit. I wish I had a friend that called me "Princess". What kind of lunchbox do you have? Call us again sometime.
    Molly's Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh- she is just so cute!! How "grown-u[" she looks at Kindergarten & with her back-pack (sniff-sniff). I can so relate. They grow too fast, don't they!? I am so glad she had a great first day!!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.