Monday, May 10, 2010

Those dang guerillas....


My house has been ambushed with the desire to lie...as in the desire to not tell the truth, whether it's based on fear of getting in trouble or simply to better reality. Either way, it's war.
And I hate it.

The Libster is really struggling with this lately, and I find myself really struggling with how to handle it. How do I instill in her not only a desire to do right and be Godly but also that lying to your parents (or anyone else for that matter) can be dangerous stuff? I want to impress upon her that it's wrong to lie without belittling her. While I would never, ever intentionally cut her down, sometimes the sarcasm in me can be a bit overwhelming to the wee one, and I have to make a conscious effort to speak to her in a way that will show her how much I love and adore her while still showing her that I am truly, to the depths of my core disappointed in her for not telling the truth.

We've struggled with this before...in fact we dealt with this very same issue just last week with the haircut incident....and twice this weekend...and again this morning.

I don't have an answer. There is no easy-button for parenting (although I do believe that would be the TOP SELLING invention of the twenty-first century, hands down, and I'd be willing to fork out big bucks for one). The hubby and I are simply left to shoot in the dark and hope we strike gold and find what will 'work' for Libby. She's that kind of kid. Simply telling her no does not suffice; she has to see and understand for herself why this is or is not a good idea. We discovered this when attempting to potty train her almost three years ago.


She got it, she could do it, she simply wasn't the least bit interested....untilI  thought to point out to her that she was the boss of the potty and could use that potty anytime she so pleased. Done. Potty-trained that very moment.

Speaking her language is key, and usually I do a pretty good job of explaining things to her in a way that she will quickly understand, that will make sense to her, and that will leave a lasting impression. Unfortuantely, with this whole lying business, I got nothin'. I'm choosing to blame it on the lack of sleep I've been struggling with lately due to this one....


...but regardless, it's just not coming to me. I've stressed about it, worried about it, cried about it, prayed about it, talked about it, and thought about it so much that I am truy S.I.C.K. of this issue. I've dug my thinking cap out from the bottom of my closet, dusted it off, and readjusted the darn thing until I'm blue in the face. However, those of you who know me know I'm not a girl who gives up easily.

So guerillas, bring it.

 I'm up for the challenge. But be warned- when I fight, I fight hard, and you're goin' down.
 It's just a matter of time and that one bright idea that will surely come....if I can only be patient enough until then...

1 comment:

  1. you are the best mommy! I hope you had a great mother's day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.