Thursday, August 21, 2014

Stitch Fix July and August: My Fourth and Fifth Fixes


First things first, have you heard about Stitch Fix
Stitch Fix is a site that pairs you with  your own personal stylist. 
You schedule a box to come to your door, insert your style likes and dislikes, and wait patiently (or not so patiently if you're like me) for your first five items to arrive at your door. 
There is a $20 styling fee, but if you keep even one item, that $20 is applied to your total.
Don't like anything? No problem. Just send all five items back in the prepaid envelope. 
Love it all? Keep it and take 25% off of your total. 

Okay, so now that we've covered the bases, let's cover the fixes, as in fix 4 and fix 5. 

Confession:  I didn't love fix 4. In fact, I almost didn't post it with you. 
I was in a funk the day we took these pics, and I'm just not loving them. 
But, for the sake of being transparent with you, I'm sharing them nonetheless. 



For this fix, I was pretty vague in my requests. 
I'm usually pretty specific, directing my stylist in terms of what I'm hoping for. 
But, since this was my fourth fix, I felt like they had a pretty good handle on my style and wanted to give them a little more freedom, so I just told them I was really digging the Boho look and loving all things Anthropologie (I mean, aren't we all?). 

Let's see what Katie, my stylist for this fix, came up with:



Item #1: PIXLEY brand Indianan Chevron Print Mixed Material Tee {$44}

So I really do like this shirt. 
It's cute and fun and fits well. 
However, you may recall that they sent me almost an identical top in my second fix
So, while I really did like this one, I just didn't feel like I needed two of them, you know? 
So, this one went back.  




Item #2: TART brand Noell 3/4 Sleeve French Terry Shift Dress {$88}

I liked the colors and stripes on this one, but I felt like it was too short and unflattering. 
The cut of the arms was off....and so was the price. 
While I didn't hate this one, I didn't like it nearly enough to keep it. 
Needless to say, this one went back.



Item #3: RENEE C brand Rosenberg Dip-Dye Cross-Front Top {$54}

This was another I didn't hate. 
I liked fit and felt like it was flattering for the most part. 
I loved the sleeve length (we all know that 3/4 sleeves are my all-time favorite). 
It was very soft and obviously very well made. 
Unfortunately, I just wasn't a fan of the tie-dye look, 
and I just couldn't say for sure that this would be a piece I'd gravitate towards in my closet. 
Unfortunately, this one went back as well. 



Item #4: JUST BLACK brand Dean Ankle Zip Skinny Jean {$78}

Stitch Fix, enough with the ankle zip. 
Please no. 
And white jeans? 
This mom doesn't think so....neither do my thighs, 
which would barely fit into these suckers. 
Back they went. 




Item #5: LA MADE brand Lou Striped Hi-Lo Dress {$138}

A few things to mention about this one:

1. Try not to be jealous of my killer tan; I know it's a bit intimidating. 

2. I did mention in my note to my stylist for this fix that I'd like to try something hi-lo, so I was excited to see this one in my box.

Now about this dress---
the bottom line is twenty pounds ago, I would have loved it. 
However, this curvy post-baby body of mine is just not rocking it. 

It was super comfortable and the cut was great,
 it was just a little too clingy around my mid-section for me to commit to it. 

Do I even need to tell you that I sent this one back too? 
Because I did. 

Overall thoughts? 

This fix just wasn't my favorite. 
While it was good in theory, the prints and cuts just weren't working for me. 
There's no denying that the pieces were all very well-made and would work great for someone else. This is the first fix where I've sent everything back, which means I lost my $20 styling fee that is normally deducted from your total when you check out.
 Can we all agree that that's not cool? 
However, since Stitch Fix credit is the only way I shop these days, 
I just couldn't justify applying it to something I didn't love, didn't feel comfortable in,
 and wouldn't wear often.
However, I still believe in Stitch Fix and made a few changes when requesting fix #5. 

For the fix, I took a totally different approach when writing my notes to my stylist. 
For this one, I requested five specific items I've seen on other people's blogs or Instagram: 

Embroidered top (I actually requested just anything embroidered, but I secretly had this top in mind)

I made sure to tell my stylist that while I'd love for her to actually include these specific items in my fix, this was really more of a generalization of what my ideal fix would look like. 
I also requested Jinnah to style this fix. 
I'd heard that you can request certain stylist, and I loved the fix she put together for me in June, so I decided to request her and just see what happens. 

Well, it was an ask and you shall receive kind of fix, complete with Jinnah as my stylist. 

Here's what she put together for me: 





Item #1: RENEE C brand Magdalena 3/4 Sleeve Elastic Waist Print Dress {$68}

This dress was light and airy, had a fully lined skirt, and fit great. 
I just didn't love the print. 
Call me picky if you will, but I only buy things I LOVE, whether I'm paying via credit or not.
And this was just a little too busy for my simple style. 
This one is headed back to Stitch Fix. 




Item #2: COLLECTIVE CONCEPTS Denova Mixed Material Floral Print Blouse {$44}

Look familiar? 
It's the exact blouse I requested. 
Just like I thought, I loved the fit and cut of the one. 
Loved the soft, jersey sleeves. 
BUT, I didn't realize in the other picture that this top has a metallic sheen to it that I just couldn't embrace. 
So, while I'm glad I tried this one on and would love to get something like it in a future fix, I sent this one back too. 




Item #3: RD STYLE brand Analisa Twisted Seam Mixed Knit Sweater {$68}

Can I get some bonus points for trying this sweater on yesterday in the sweltering heat that is Mississippi in August? 
Liked the print. 
Like the cut of the front. 
Just found it a little too bulky for my body.
This one went back as well. 

Have you given up hope yet? 
Well, don't. 
I actually loved these next two pieces. 






Item #4: MARKET AND SPRUCE BRAND Xander Short Sleeve Woven Back Sweatshirt {$54}
Item #5: KUT FROM THE KLOTH Danny 5-Pocket Knit Pants {$68}

These are in fact, the exact black pants I requested, and I love them. 
While I realize you can't see too much of them here, trust me when I say they're about as good as pants can get. They have the cut of jeans and feel like leggings. 
Yes, please. 
These are staying with me. 

And this top? 
LOVE IT. 
I was a little skeptical when I peeked at my receipt before my box came and saw the word 'sweatshirt', but it's all kinds of comfortable, feminine, and fun. 
This one is mine. 

Like I've said before, I'm not so much looking for a fix with five things I can't live without. 
If I can get just one or two items I love in each box, I'm a happy girl. 
These two items made this fix well worth it, and I still have some credit to spend thanks to those of you who have signed on using my referral link
THANK YOU BEYOND THANK YOU for that, by the way!
And if you've blogged about your fix, please share a link in the comments. 
I'd love to take a look at your post!

Overall thoughts? 

Jinnah is where it's at for me, so I've requested her again for my next fix. 
I look forward to my fixes and really love trying things on at home. 
I've already scheduled my next fix, and can't wait to see what Jinnah (hopefully) picks out!

And if you made it to the end of this post, a high five is headed your way.
 Way to hang in there, buddy.  

1 comment:

  1. You received some fun pieces in your June fix! And I love how you styled your Noonday Necklaces with the tops!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.