Thursday, August 8, 2013

We aren't the kind of people who adopt.

*I initially wrote this post as one of my monthly submissions to the Mercy Found Blog, but this message is so near and dear to my heart that I wanted to share it on my blog as well. I apologize if it's a repeat read for you. *

Adoption is only for perfect families. 
Except that it's not. 
But I used to believe the lies that only exceptional, perfect parents were fit for adoption. 
And we aren't that kind of family.



We are messy.
We are loud....really, really loud.
Sometimes we eat fish sticks for dinner.
I don't dust every other day.
We believe in the thirty second rule when you drop your snack on the floor.
I don't have a baby proof tab on every drawer and cabinet in our home.
We watch TV...sometimes way too much TV.
Sometimes we stay up late and forget about bedtimes.
I don't mop my floors nearly as often as I should.
Sometimes I get really frustrated with my kiddos and question if I can do this whole mom thing.
My kids don't always enjoy every single minute they spend together.
I am absolutely nothing like June Cleaver.
Sometimes I listen to Pink! or Justin Timberlake on the radio while my kids are in the car.
On occasion my kiddos whine...and so do I.
We don't know of anyone in our area who has adopted.
We have never taken our kiddos to Disney World.
I don't own stock in Germ-X.
Hollyn still doesn't always sleep through the night.
We don't go to the park every weekend.
I like my music loud.
I would totally get a tattoo if my hubby wasn't a member of the anti-tattoo club.
Every once in a while, we eat fast food.
We can't pay cash up front for our adoption.
We don't go the zoo nearly enough.
My kids wear hand-me-downs.
Sometimes I wonder if we eat enough veggies at our house.
I wasn't that girl who longed to be a mother when she grew up.
Sometimes I get really tired of sharing my food.
I wish I had more time to myself.
My husband wishes he did too.
Not all of our friends are oober excited that we are adopting.
We love Harry Potter.
I have no desire whatsoever to ever be a pre-school teacher.
Sometimes other people's kiddos get on my nerves.
My kids don't always keep their rooms clean.
Sometimes I just want to sleep.
There are days where I feel like all I do is say 'no'.
Some days I feel really overwhelmed.
Sometimes all I want to do is sit on the couch...by myself....quietly. And that never happens around here.

There are so many reasons that we could use as excuses to not adopt. 
It would be so easy to just say no and be content with what we have. 
But God calls us to do more.

And He gives us a choice. 
We can choose to leave things just the way they are, 
or we can choose to follow Him and trust that His ways are always better than our ways.

And we are choosing to obey...even if it does mean it'll be a few more years before I can stop sharing my food and watch Friday Night Lights re-runs on the couch in the middle of the afternoon. 
Because while we may not be the PERFECT family, we are a FAMILY, and we do believe that every kiddo should have one of those, perfect or not so perfect.



7 comments:

  1. great, honest post! I can relate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post. I think honesty is a very beautiful thing, and I found myself saying, "Me, too!" while reading this. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping over from We Blog for Adoption. I totally agree and am working on a similar piece for homeschooling.

    Melissa
    www.thecorkums.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that means we should be friends. Like best friends. Cause I'm a total ditto to everything on the list. Well almost everything. We aren't adopting (again). 4 kids is enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know how I just saw this post but i LOVE it! Adoption isn't about being perfect it is about LOVE and you have a ton of that! Emily is a blessed little girl but you will be amazed at the blessing you receive from her. Adoption is a beautiful thing! I can tell you the best job in the whole wide world is being Jake's Mommie!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.