Monday, June 3, 2013

ADOPTION: Your Questions Answered, Part 1

Last week, we revealed to the world our huge news.
In case you missed it, we are ADOPTING A BABY FROM Congo.

First thing first, let me just say THANK YOU for all of the blog post comments, Instagram comments, phone calls, text messages, etc. We were truly overwhelmed with all of the positive words of encouragement that came our way. 




And I know you have questions.

Here are the answers to some of the things you might be wondering:

1. How long will the process take?
This question is notorious in the adoption world. It's also very hard to answer. Rules and timelines are changing daily. We are just going to do our part to be as on the ball as possible
 and leave the timeline to God. We have NOT yet been matched with a child, and I PROMISE I'll be shouting from the rooftops as soon as that happens.

2.Why are you adopting a girl instead of a boy?
We prayed hard about this, but at the end of the day, we just feel called to a girl. We in no way believe girls are more deserving of a home; we just believe God has a little girl waiting for us. 

3. What are the chances that the baby will be healthy?
Before our adoption is finalized, our daughter will be examined by a doctor. She will be tested for HIV, AIDS, malaria, etc. And while it's possible that she will develop a problem later, need glasses, etc., we are just as likely to bring a healthy baby home from Congo as we were to bring a healthy baby home from the hospital. There is always the possibility of the unknown, whether your baby is born in the United States or not. Dealing with and facing these unknowns as they come is all part of being a parent.

4. How old will the child be?
That's a good question as well. When you apply for adoption, you are allowed to request a child from a certain age group. Lee and I prayed about this and talked about this, and while I love infants, I also believe that those people who struggle with infertility should have first priority when it comes to the new babies. Lee and I have been blessed to bring two healthy, beautiful baby girls home from the hospital as infants, and this go round we are open to welcoming an older child into our family. Our ideal age is between eighteen and thirty-six months old. Can you say WE LOVE TODDLERS? We can.

5. How do we think this process will affect our family, especially Hollyn and Libby?
Well, seeing as how I spent six of my nine months sick as a d-o-g while I was pregnant with Hollyn, I think this is a much better way to grow our family into a family of five. I feel very strongly that Libby and Hollyn will be blessed and grow in their faith while watching God move mountains and reveal Himself and His plan while we go through the adoption process. Libby is OVERJOYED at the thought of having another sister, and Hollyn knows that her little sister grew in her "udder mama's belly in Aprica". 


6. Will we have to travel to the Congo?
Yes, and we CANNOT WAIT!

7. How much will it cost?
A Congolese adoption, on average, costs approximately $30,000. I know; it's a lot. But God gave me a heart for fundraising a LONG time ago. God has also given me  real peace about the money part of the adoption. I am 100% positive that this is what HE wants us to do. Therefore, I also have to believe that He will provide the money to bring our child home. God is so much bigger than $30,000.

8. WHY CONGO?????
This was easy. 
Not only do I believe God is calling us to Congo, 
but I am certain that God is calling us SPECIFICALLY to adopt from the Congo. 
There are several reasons I feel this way.

 First, the statistics are overwhelming:

- At war from 1998 – 2003
- 1,500 people die per day in DRC because of the conflict
- Deadliest conflict since WWII
- Over 5.4 million people have died since 1998
- Life expenctancy is 46 years
-over 5.2 million Congolese children receive no education
-over 1.2 million people are infected with HIV-almost 60% of those infected are women
-Malaria kills 400 children a day
-the sexual violence against women and female children is the worst anywhere in the world

-Congo has been named the hardest place in the world to be a woman

-20% of children will not live to their 5th birthday 

-Only 45% have access to safe drinking water 

-the Congo has been called the rape capitol of the world 

And if that wasn't enough, 
God has revealed that Congo is the place for us in more ways
 than I can possibly count in the past year. 

I will write a whole post on this very, very soon, but for now I'll direct you  this video:



This was one of the very first ways that God worked to get my attention and to connect a string from my heart straight to the Congo.

I hope this helps and that you're starting to wrap your mind around all that this entails.
In addition to a post on how I know God has Congo chosen for us, I will also write a post soon on our thoughts on bringing a black baby into our white home, because I know many of you are curious about how this will work. It's okay to be curious, but it's not okay to seek to know while making assumptions, at least not in our house.

Other than that what else do you want to know? While I don't believe that adopting a baby from Congo is in God's plans for everyone, I do think most people know very little about the whole process, and while I'm still learning myself, I'd love to know your questions. Please feel free to leave a comment or send me an e-mail. 
I will do my best to answer them.

Happy Monday to you and you and you.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! So exciting! I love reading about your journey and am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this!!!!! God calls us all in different ways. We just need to be open to whatever he would have for us and ready to say YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for you to bring my new niece home! I'm SO excited for this new precious little girl to be a part of our family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post brought tears to my eyes. First off, its a beautiful and wonderful thing you're doing. Giving an amazing life to a little girl who needs it. Second, you're being so selfless and thoughtful for leaving the newborns to those with fertility problems. And third, you're trusting God with the finance aspect.

    I too, have a heart for adoption. I have felt for a while that my husband and I are meant to do it. 3 months ago we delivered a beautiful, healthy baby girl. Now, every time people ask me if I want more kids, I tell the I really want to adopt, and all I get is "well you HAVE to have another of your own!" or "oh, thats expensive" or "You don't even know if you're getting a healthy baby!" Or "You're not going to save the world by adopting!" Maybe not, but I can save one!! Its frustrating, because I really truly believe we are meant to adopt a child one day, and if we're meant to, God will provide a way.

    I wish you all the best in the future! Can't wait to hear more about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for your little family! It's a pretty powerful thing to know when God calls our hearts, and even a bigger thing to actually listen.

    My question, What are you going to name her? I'm thinking PENNY! :-) I'm smiling now thinking about the big bright bows in her hair! :-) Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you and your family! It will have to be an amazing feeling to make all the difference in the world to this little girl God has called you to adopt! I will be checking back for updates about fundraisers, I know there will be good ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing news!!! We are in the process of adopting from Colombia!We will be praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness!! I'm so excited for y'all!!!! We are bringing home a little girl from the Congo too! I love connecting with other congo mommas:). SO excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You & your husband are amazing human beings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for you guys, McCall! What wonderful and exciting news! I can't wait to follow you and your family on this incredible journey!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.