Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Five. More. Days.

I can't believe it's almost here. 
Literally. 
I honestly can't believe it. 
I've been dreaming about going to Africa for so long that it's hard to accept the fact that it's staring me in the face. 
I'm packing, I'm preparing, I'm praying, but it still hasn't quite hit me that I'll be using these shiny new babies in five days: 


What has hit me, however, is how much I'm going to miss my babies. 




If you know me in real life, you know I'm not a homebody in any sense of the word. I am always on the go and can only recall being homesick twice in my whole life. But, that was before I had babies. 
I know they'll be completely fine and very well taken care of (by this I mean one step shy of spoiled rotten), but there's just something about knowing that we won't be together as a family for TWO WEEKS that makes me have a big ole knot in my chest. I can't stop kissing them. I can't stop videoing them. I can't stop obsessing over packing their bags just right so that they will be as happy as possible while we are gone. And, I know this will sound funny, but I'm praying not to miss them. By this I mean I am asking God to let me miss them but not to let me miss them to the extent that I can't focus on the work I am trying to do in Uganda. 

I've read and researched until I simply can't read or research any more. I feel as though I'm as prepared as I can be. But can we ever really be prepared to witness the kinds of hurt and poverty that exist around the world? 

I've had several people ask me if I'm scared to go. Scared? No. I am completely confident that God will take care of us and that our needs will be met. However, my biggest fear is in regards to my heart. I am confident that I won't be the same after seeing first-hand the lifestyle, the joys, and the sorrows of those in Uganda. How could I be? No part of me expects this to be easy, and the long term effects of this experience have me a little on edge. Change is never easy, especially when our hearts are concerned. 

People have also asked me for specific prayer requests. 

Here are a few in case you're interested: 

- Safe travel. This may sound simple enough, but we'll be traveling for four days during our trip (two days there and two days back). This will include about eight flight changes and two very long layovers. Please pray that all goes smoothly. 
- The weather. Today there was a very deadly mudslide in north-eastern Uganda. Please pray for the families who were hurt and for those who are missing. Please pray that the weather won't interfere with us serving others. 
-Service opportunities. Please pray that we will have many opportunities to serve. We are aching to be used and are ready to give of ourselves to help others in whatever ways are needed. 

With that being said, I took a big ole package to the post office today, so if you've ordered a t-shirt or a canvas, be watching your mailbox. 


AND, once your shirt comes in, how about you take a picture of yourself in your new shirt and send it my way? Nothing would make me happier than to come home to an inbox flooded with photos. E-mail your pic. to me at mccallald@yahoo.com or tag me on facebook, and I'll share your pic. on the blog. Sounds like a plan to me. 

My hopes are to post once more before we leave...I have a post in the works. One that has nothing to do with Africa but is full of embarrassing pics of yours truly. I will do my best to get it up and going before we ship out. As for blogging while we're gone, that is to be determined.
 I promise to try my best. Fingers crossed.

 It feels like the best Christmas ever is just around the corner, and I'm the six-year-old who's waiting for her very own pink pony. Not sure I've ever been this excited about anything in my whole thirty-two years........

1 comment:

  1. We are praying for y'all and that God will shine his light through y'all. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.