Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Girl Really Gets It

When I got home from work yesterday, there was a package waiting at my doorstep.
Last week I ordered two copies of Kisses From Katie, the book about the life of Katie Davis, who gave up her life in America and traded it for a life serving orphans in Uganda.

While I'm not quite finished with the book, the one thing I can say for sure is
THE GIRL GETS IT.
 In her book, Katie talks very clearly about living for God and how nothing on Earth is more important than serving him; I'd say that Katie's one very smart cookie.

And while there are MANY inspiring passages,
the first one that reallyhit home with me was this (pgs. 6-7):

I can't explain in words the love I felt for these children or why I felt it. I think many people would have looked at them and seen only their filthy clothes, the ringworm on their heads, or the mucus that ended up in a crust around their nostrils. They would have looked around at the dormitories of the orphanage with its smooth, hard cement floor where rats and cockroaches made themselves at home and been a bit disgusted. By the grace of God, though, I didn't see these things.

The truth is, I saw myself in those little faces. I looked at them and felt this love that was unimaginable and knew that this is the way God sees me. The children would run to me with gifts of stones or dirt and I saw myself, filthy and broken, offering my life to the God of the universe and begging Him to make it into something beautiful.



I can't explain the joy that the messages in these pages is bringing to my heart. I can simply encourage you to see for yourself how God has used Katie to make a difference and how she so willing accepted.

And while I'd love to stay and chat, I've been itching all day to finish it.

**Are you reading it too? If so, I'd LOVE to hear which lines have spoken to you....**


1 comment:

  1. McCall. I'm so jealous you got Katie's book. Kristen said you were getting her one for her bday. My mom is sending me one because we can't find it here! :[ Her story is incredible and so inspiring. I'm going to an Amazima feeding program a few weeks fom now, and we might get to meet Katie! I know she's just a normal person, but I'm beyond excited as God used her story in big ways to get me here!
    Hallie.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.