Sunday, September 11, 2011

WHOOO wants to make a super de dooper cute owl shirt?

Yesterday was Lib's owl party that we had to celebrate her seventh birthday,
and while I work on finishing her birthday party post, I thought you might want to see what the party girl wore.

Since it was an owl party, I wanted her to have an owl shirt.

So, here's what I did:


First, I found some owl clip art that I liked, and I drew it the size I wanted it to be on her shirt.



Then I picked out some cute coordinating fabrics. I used scraps from past projects, which is always an added bonus, yes?



Then I traced the different owl parts onto iron-on bonding paper. I found this package at Wal-Mart, but I know they have it at Michael's, etc. Just be sure not to get the thickest one...it will be too thick for you to sew yourself IF you choose to sew it, which you don't have to do.


Next I decided which parts of the owl I wanted to make from each of the fabrics I was using.


I lined up the bonding paper with the fabric and ironed it.
Then I peeled off the back of the bonding paper (all of this in on the directions of the package, by the way),  and got my shirt ready.  TIP: cut out your pieces roughly before you iron and THEN cut them out exactly with the fabric-- otherwise, you'll waste time cutting them out perfectly TWICE, and it's harder to cut the fabric to match the design rather than cutting them both at once.


Then I ironed the owl onto the shirt, one piece at a time.


You could  choose to cut out circles for the eyes, but I had some buttons that I wanted to use.
You could also choose to be done here. If I'm making a holiday shirt that Libby will only wear a few times, I wouldn't bother sewing it. But since I want her to be able to wear this one for a while, I hand-stitched it. It's really easy, and it only took me about thirty minutes. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED! I promise if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Here's a glimpse at the finished product:



And an up-close-and-personal shot:




And here it is on the birthday girl:



Come back tomorrow to see Lib's party in full force.

And a very big prayer of remembrance goes out to all those who lost family and friends
in the September 11th tragedy ten years ago.
 My thoughts and prayers are with you.


P.S.) Today I'm linking to here, here, here, and here.

3 comments:

  1. could this have turned out any cuter?? happy birthday libster!

    p.s. i've missed you. i'm starting to catch up a little on everything that has been going on in your life and i hope your back is doing okay. i'll be back in full force soon...promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am visiting from Serenity Now. How cute! I love owls =)
    Kelly @ Corner of Main

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I love All The Bright Prints with Flowers on them.And I Love Owls too! Adorable Cupcakes & T-shirt Owl.That must have been a Fun Party! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.