Monday, April 11, 2011

Africa: Books for Kenya


Mornin' lovelies.

So, I just found out that our friends we visited spent last night battling the stomach virus with their youngest. We probably gave it to them accidentally while visiting.
This officially makes us the worst friends ever.
They'll still love us, but we will SERIOUSLY owe them.

Moving on.

So, Melanie is headed to Kenya this summer to help build a library for a Christian school for orphans that has been built there. And after watching this video, I felt inspired to help make a difference in the lives of these precious kiddos:




What an amazing story of faith and action. God truly is good all the time.
Here are some pics. Melanie sent me of the kids and the new school buildings that have already been built:


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Isn't it just amazing what God can do?
Although I haven't officially met Melanie (not yet anyway, but possibly one day? We should make a plan, Melanie.), I am in awe of what she's doing. Seriously, I can't imagine how excited I'd be if I knew I was about to embark on such an adventure. To say I'm a wee bit jealous is quite the understatement.

And to think that soon these children will have access to a library just makes my day.
And if I have anything to do with it, there will be books for these little darlings...lots and lots and lots of books. They deserve at least that much. Agreed? I thought you might.
I've spoken with Melanie on the best way to do this, and while we'd originally thought we'd be able to accept gently used books, Melanie and her team are having some trouble with getting the books to Kenya without acquiring some serious expenses. Also, they believe it will be best for everyone if they purchase the books in Africa, thus putting that money into their economy and helping that local business.
While I must admit that I was disappointed when I heard that they won't be able to accept our gently used books, I am now choosing to look at it like this:

If everyone who would have donated used books will instead donate what they would have spent to ship their books, we can make a serious difference in the lives of these children and their education.
Will you help?
Every dollar donated will be sent directly to Melanie for her to take with her to Kenya.
I can't imagine the fun she'll have hand-picking the books for these children who are so eager to learn.
All you have to do is click on the paypal button on my sidebar, and somewhere in your donation transaction comment that this donation is for books.
I promise to keep you posted on our earnings, and I can't wait to see the difference we can make.

Thank you in advance, and God bless you and yours.

1 comment:

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.