Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Africa: The Next Step

First, a big thank you to everyone who took a second out of your busy day yesterday to comment on my post. My doctor appointment didn't go so great, and while we're at least making plans for a next step (I'm hoping to have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in the next week or so), all of the "we can't guarantee it will be effective" talk has left me with a major case of the blues. So now I have the blues AND a hurt back. Bad combo.

However, I am working on my perspective. And reading stories such as this and this helps remind that me that my struggles are so insignificant in the big scheme of things.  So, needless to say, the Pity Party is over. Done. Finished. I'm picking up and moving on the best I can.
And here's where I'm headed:

I have something else big planned for Africa.

Bloggers, meet Melanie:



Isn't she precious?
She blogs here, and after reading about Kristen's trip on my blog, she became inspired to help Kristen get to Africa.  And then she realized God has plans for her in Africa too... Kenya to be exact.

For twelve days in June, Melanie will be working with a group of fourteen others to help build a library for the Heritage of Faith and Hope Centre in Nairobi to serve the children.
And in her own words:

Heritage of Faith Christian school is fully registered by the Ministry of Education in Kenya, and due to the high quality of education offered at the school, many parents are admitting their children from the community! These children are so smart and have done so well on standardized testing, that the government has given them land to build this library! They have a vision of continuing to grow the word of God as well as the education of these precious children.

Here are Melanie, Mary, and Emily yesterday getting their shots for their upcoming trip to Africa.




I can't help but think God is going to use them in a big way during this time.

And I think we should help.



It's funny how God works things out. The minute our t-shirt sales for Kristen were over, I told her that I wasn't done. I haven't helped enough; I want to do more.
And I want my next project to deal with books.

I actually e-mailed back and forth with two different organizations asking if they would accept books, but the fit just wasn't right.

And then I found Melanie....
who's going to Africa....
to build a library.

As an English teacher, a mom, and a person in this world, I can't imagine my life without books. And did you know there are statistics that show that just by having books in your home your children are more likely to be readers?

And I seriously don't know one person who doesn't have an extra book or two at home that could be given to someone else.

So, why don't we?

From now until the end of May, I'd like for us to work together to stock this soon-to-be library in Kenya.

In Melanie's words:

We would like to bring books that are K-12 and primarily nonfiction, moral/religious, educational.  We would prefer to steer a little away from the fiction books because most of them are geared towards Americans (ex: Clifford the Big Red Dog has little blonde Emily Elizabeth).  We want them to be able to relate to the books, as well as be able to understand and learn from them.  Gently used books are appreciated!  

There are a few ways you can help:

* You can donate your gently used books.
* You can purchase new books.
*You can donate money for Melanie and her team to use to purchase books.


If you're local and want to give your books to me, I'll be happy to mail them myself.
And, if you'd like to donate money you can use the paypal button I've posted on my sidebar in regards to Kristen's bracelets. Just please put FOR BOOKS somewhere in your transaction.

I'll be back soon with more details on where Melanie is going, where you can send your books, a button to help spread the word about this little attempt to help, and even an incentive to give.

I can't even begin to imagine my life without books. Even more importantly, I can't imagine Libby and Hollyn's life without books.
Can you?

 
If you have questions or want to help by donating and incentive to give, please contact me at mccallald@yahoo.com. And, if you send books Melanie's way, please leave a comment on this post...I promise it will make my day.


2 comments:

  1. Hey McCall! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! Love meeting another Mississippi girl!! Love your blog and LOVE your heart for Africa!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. McCall- Tim has the best neurosurgeon in the world. We love, love, love him. He prays with us and for us. Let me know.
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.