Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oh, the Agony...in Chicago

Last night I was facebook chatting with a friend about where I would spend New Years if I could spend it anywhere.
My answer?
Chicago.

Note: The pictures in this post have nothing to do with the actual story I'm about to tell; they're just random shots I took in Chicago. Consider them my attempt to get you to visit because my story probably won't have the same effect. Don't judge and just enjoy them, mkay?


A few years ago I took a group of high school students there for a few days of a cultural overload, good food, and the most frigid of all frigid wind. Let's just say they don't call it The Windy City for nothin'.


Overall, it was a great trip.
However, while we were there I experienced what can only be described as one of the top three most embarrassing things to ever happen to me.


If you know me at all, you know what a big statement this is for me.
While I don't embarrass especially easily, I do have a tendency to find myself in awkward, potentially mortifying experiences on a pretty regular basis. I am the girl who can't ride a bike, trips walking up the stairs, gets randomly hit by cars (that's happened twice, actually), and says the totally wrong thing at least once a day.
But I have to tell you, what happened in Chicago was undeniably embarrassing.


In order to give our students the most culturally rich experience possible, the other teacher and I who planned the trip tried to include a wide array of activities.


One such activity was a trip the contemporary art museum.


So, while we're at the museum, my students and I, which consisted of a group of about ten or so kids, both boys and girls, were walking around trying to enjoy and in some way understand the art around us. If you've never been to a contemporary art museum, it's quite interesting. I am by no means trained in terms of interpreting art, and while I appreciate it, I don't always understand it.
Apparently my students don't either.
Moving on....



Well, as we reach the top floor of the museum, we see a group of people gathered around an exhibit, so of course, we'd like to see what all the fuss is about as well.
 I mean, we don't want to risk missing out on something terribly interesting and life-changing, do we?


So, we make our way to the front of the group and realize that there were two 'artists' participating in a live art display in the middle of the floor.


What were they attempting to portray, you ask?
 Oh, well that would be the many positions in which two people can express their love in a physical manner, so to speak.
Nice, right?
And let's just say they were very...ahem....creative, to put it mildly.
 Keep in mind they were fully clothed...I think....in very revealing, flesh colored body suits.
Sorry I didn't get a picture.
But trust me, I did you a favor; I'm sure the mental image you now have is plenty.

So, there we are....me and my HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS, mind you.
 I look at them.
They look at me.
We all try to not to look at the 'art' in front of us.
All I could do was turn a nice shade of red and attempt not to giggle.

And that, my friends, is my awkward Chicago moment.
Hope you enjoyed my shame and humiliation.
It is kind of funny.....NOW.
The end.



P.S.) I have two giveaways ending tonight. Want to enter? You can find them here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.