Friday, April 2, 2010

Mommy-made

Meet Dolly.
Although she might not look like much at first glance, this is one of my most treasured possessions. My grandmother made her for me when I was about seven. She now lives in my hope chest, and if my house is ever on fire, she will be one of the first things I grab. I still remember the exact way I felt when my grandmother finished sewing her and handed her to me for the first time. There's just something so special about knowing someone took the time to MAKE you something...that my grandmother chose every thing about her and stitched every little stitch herself. This is a feeling I hope and pray my daughters will have one day, and a feeling I hope to give to Libby this Easter.


So, for Easter this year, I made each of my girls two gifts. The first is an ABC Bible verse book. I think it's very important to learn and study scripture, and I don't think you can ever start introducing this too early in life. Thanks to my hubby who downloaded over a hundred super cute new fonts for me to play with, I was able to make each letter's verse different. I am super-pleased with how they turned out and hope the girls (well, Libby, as Hollyn's still a little young for this just yet) really likes her book. And I think Easter is the perfect time for a gift such as this.


The second gift took a little more effort, but I do believe my hardwork has paid off this time. :)
Libby has decided that Easter isn't Easter without a stuffed bunny, so I bought some tall women's socks on sale at Target and got to work. Here's what I came up with:


I decided to personalize them by putting each girl's initials on the inside of an ear.


And then, to make it extra meaningful, I stitched the scripture reference to Psalms 139 on the booty. If you aren't familiar with or can't call this scripture to mind, my favorite verse is as follows:
Psalms 139: 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
How perfect is that for my precious babies?

Will they like them? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.... I'll be sure to let you know. :)
I hope that you and yours have a truly blessed Easter weekend and that you take a minute out of this crazy world in which we live to think about all that GOD has done for us and the many ways you are blessed.



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift for the girls, McCall! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this truly made me cry! I know they will cherish them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so crafty! You should sell Bible verse booklets. Cute idea. Hope ya'll have a happy Easter! We really need to get Hollyn's gift to you before she outgrows it. Trudy D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, McCall - you are super talented and very thoughtful! I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.